The Tonight Show (1962—1963)
Barbra Streisand appeared as a guest:
August 21, 1962 [w/ temporary host Groucho Marx]
October 4, 1962
November 2, 1962
December 3, 1962
January 2, 1963
February 1, 1963
February 22, 1963
March 5, 1963
The Tonight Show had several incarnations before Johnny Carson made it the iconic show it is today.
It all began in the early 1960s. Jack Paar was the king of talk television at the time. (Barbra Streisand guested on Jack Paar’s talk show — when Paar was not the host. Because Paar had arranged a short work-week with NBC, Orson Bean was the fill-in host during Barbra’s 1961 appearance.)
In 1962, after Paar and NBC clashed and parted ways, several guest hosts took turns helming the show between April and October 1962. Barbra appeared once (August 21, 1962) when Groucho Marx was a temporary host.
- Listen to Groucho Marx & Streisand on the player below ...
When Johnny took over on October 1, 1962 it became The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. Barbra first appeared with Johnny on October 4, 1962. He was obviously enchanted by Barbra.
Of course, like many of the early television shows, the video tapes were erased years ago and never archived. Only audio still exists.
- Click the Play button below to hear Barbra and Johnny talk about empire-waisted dresses, auditions, and Barbra's folding cot:
Carson was very supportive of Barbra, who was at the beginning of her career. When Barbra’s first album was released in February 1963, Johnny had her on his show often to help promote it.
On her last appearance (March 5, 1963), Barbra told Johnny, “I will never come here again.” Listen on the player above.
Unfortunately, Barbra never appeared on Carson’s show again.
Barbra wrote kind things about Carson in her liner notes to 1991’s Just For the Record CD set: “I remember Johnny inviting me back several times and that was nice.”
Johnny Carson came into people’s homes every weeknight on The Tonight Show. His respectful, easy-going style will be missed. Good night, Johnny.
According to TV listings that Barbra Archives has reviewed, here's a rundown of the Streisand shows and who the guests were each night:
- August 21, 1962
- w/ temporary host Groucho Marx
- Barbra sang “Much More”
- October 4, 1962
- Guests: Dennis Weaver, Jean Carroll, Sander Vanocur
- Barbra sang “Right As The Rain”
- November 2, 1962
- Guests: Beatrice Lillie, Gloria Lambert
- Barbra sang “Happy Days Are Here Again”
- December 3, 1962 — unknown
- January 2, 1963
- Guests: Marlin Perkins, Ronnie Graham
- February 1, 1963 — unknown
- February 22, 1963 — unknown
- March 5, 1963
- Guests: Artie Shaw, Jackie & Roy