The Concert — New York, NY
1994 Concert Tour
Madison Square Garden
New York, New York
June 20, 23, 26, 28, 30, 1994
July 10, 12, 1994
(Above) Barbra Streisand greets the audience in a cream gown at the beginning of her concert series in New York at Madison Square Garden Monday, June 20, 1994.
(Below) A two-page spread in the March 27, 1994 New York Times, advertising the concert.
Barbra returned to her home, New York City, in June and July 1994. She performed for fans at Madison Square Garden, recorded the concert there for the Columbia Records CD release, and "set" the show in the final running order that she'd use for the rest of the tour.
Composer Jule Styne (Funny Girl, Gypsy) was in the audience opening night and told a reporter after the show: “This is beyond excitement. It's realization-plus. I have no doubt she's the greatest singer ever in my lifetime.”
On Friday, June 24th, in the middle of her successful run at the Garden, Streisand's team announced one more show—July 10th “for the fans”—and tickets went on sale June 26th. “She's crazy about performing in New York,” publicist Ken Sunshine said, “and she wanted to do more for the fans who had been shut out.” (There was some complaining about the general unavailability of tickets).
When the July 10th tickets sold out almost immediately, another show—July 12th—was added.
New York Set List:
- As If We Never Said Goodbye
- I'm Still Here/Everybody Says Don't/Don't Rain On My Parade (Medley)
- Can't Help Lovin' That Man
- I'll Know (with Marlon Brando)
- Lover Man (Oh, Where Can You Be?)
- Will He Like Me?
- He Touched Me
- The Man That Got Away
- On A Clear Day (You Can See Forever)
- The Way We Were
- You Don't Bring Me Flowers
- Lazy Afternoon
- Linda Richman skit *
- Not While I'm Around
- Ordinary Miracles
- Yentl Medley
- Happy Days Are Here Again
- My Man
- For All We Know
* July 12th only
Barbra wore a different first act gown in New York. (Top right, below: Barbra mugs backstage at Madison Square Garden in her cream-colored gown before making her entrance. Her assistant, Renata, is on the left; Marty Erlichman is on the right.)
During the second act of the June 26th show, Barbra wore an all white linen pants suit with an unconstructed jacket instead of the fitted, beaded 'get-up' she introduced in Vegas and wore during other shows.
On June 28th, Barbra paid a surprise visit to The Late Show with David Letterman. Letterman had a running gag on the show about how he couldn't get Streisand concert tickets. So, Streisand strolled out on stage and handed Letterman a pair of tickets. After absorbing the audience's crazed reaction, Barbra joked to Letterman, “I just wanted to tell you to stop kvetching already!”
Many celebrities attended Barbra's New York shows: Barbara Walters, Liza Minnelli, Meryl Streep, Diane Sawyer, Mike Nichols, Art Garfunkel, Amy Irving, Fran Drescher, Halle Berry, and Harry Belafonte.
On July 12—Barbra's last show in New York— a video of her closing song, “Somewhere," was simulcast on the giant television screen in Times Square. This moment is preserved on the 2-disc CD. You can hear Barbra say, "Hello Times Square!" Streisand's tour publicist Ken Sunshine explained, "She felt so good coming home, she wanted to make this one last gesture for the people."
Barbra's Top 10 List of Why We Saved New York For Last!
“Since the Top 10 list is the intellectual property of CBS, I’ve decided to do my own top 8 List!”
8. At the start of the tour in April, I took a number at Zabar’s, I came back when it was called!
7. In May, I got in a taxi at 30th and Fifth, the driver just found the place!
6. I love humidity!
5. We couldn ’t park to unload the trucks, because of alternate side, no standing, no sitting, street-cleaning, no stopping, no reclining, bus-stop, school zone, restricted, kosher, every 3rd Tuesday, fat chance parking regulations!
4. I decided to wait until the Mets were in 1 st place! And then I decided to come anyway!
3. I thought NY needed more excitement than just the Knicks, the Rangers, the Yankees, the Gay Games!
2. Summer sale at Bloomingdale’s
1. It’s my HOME!
Notes on the New York shows:
- Mike Myers joined Streisand onstage at the July 12th show. They reprised the Linda Richman skit originally performed in Las Vegas."Look at you, you are home, girlfriend!" Linda said as she came onstage.
- Streisand performed with crimped hair June 23, 1994
“The Concert” Tour
|April 20, 1994||London||Wembley Arena|
|April 25, 1994|
|April 27, 1994|
|April 29, 1994|
|May 10, 1994||Landover, MD||US Air Arena|
|May 12, 1994|
|May 15, 1994||Auburn Hills, MI||The Palace of Auburn Hills|
|May 17, 1994|
|May 19, 1994|
|June 2, 1994||Anaheim, CA||Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim|
|June 4, 1994|
|June 7, 1994||San Jose, CA||San Jose Arena|
|June 9, 1994|
|June 20, 1994||New York, NY||Madison Square Garden|
|June 23, 1994|
|June 26, 1994|
|June 28, 1994|
|June 30, 1994|
|July 10, 1994|
|July 12, 1994|
|July 18, 1994||Anaheim, CA||Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim|
|July 20, 1994|
|July 22, 1994|
|July 24, 1994|
Jump Menu Navigation ...
1960s Live Performances:
1970s & 1980s Live Performances:
1990s & 2000s Live Performances: